Catering Insurance: Serving Up Protection for your Catering Business

Catering Insurance: Serving Up Protection for your Catering Business

State of the Catering Industry and Why Caterers Need Insurance

Catering businesses are on the upswing; according to the State of the Industry 2017 report, caterers have indicated a 75% percent increase in their business in 2017. Non-traditional caterers and corporate caterers are also experiencing their highest growth. With growth comes additional risks, and caterers need to protect their burgeoning businesses with caterers insurance.

As the catering field becomes more diverse, it is extremely important that caterers have a robust insurance policy that can be structured to cover a wide range of potential claims and lawsuits. FLIP not only offers a general liability insurance policy, but can also help protect caterers with liquor liability insurance and commercial auto insurance.

Here is a brief overview of the types of insurance caterers may need.

General Liability Insurance

Last year, a caterer served a snapper dish that injured a client who swallowed a bone. FLIP paid $4,299.

In another case, a caterer was serving a BBQ. Their smoker caught fire and FLIP paid $4,582.

One caterer lost their inventory when the compressor on their walk-in refrigerator went out. FLIP paid $4,503.

General liability insurance protects caterers from claims like these and others, such as bodily injury, slip and falls, property damages, and more.

For a general liability policy, buy here.

Income Eligibility Limits

Recently, FLIP increased our gross receipts eligibility limits up to $200,000. For an additional premium, FLIP now offers insurance to caterers with larger operations. If your catering business has expanded and increased, you can still get your caterers insurance policy through FLIP.

Starting premiums based off your gross annual sales*.

  • Up to $50,000 $299
  • $50,001 - $100,000 $399
  • $100,001-$200,000 $579

*If your annual gross sales exceed $200K, we can provide you with a quote. Call us at (844) 520-6992.

Liquor Liability Insurance—Caterers Who Serve Alcohol Are Now Eligible

In the past, caterers that served alcohol were excluded from purchasing a FLIP general liability policy. Now, you can serve alcohol so long as you have liquor liability insurance coverage through our program.

Our liquor liability insurance protects caterers who sell or furnish beer, wine, or liquor. If a guest is served alcohol by you and causes an accident, damages property, or injures themselves or someone else, you could be held liable for furnishing that person alcohol.

For an annual general liability policy with liquor liability coverage, buy here.


Event Liquor Liability Insurance

Several non-traditional caterers or caterers who serve at pop-up events may not need an annual policy. FLIP now offers event general and liquor liability insurance to cover caterers who need a short-term, 3-day policy. Note that if you cater more than two events per year, it is more cost effective to purchase an annual policy.

To purchase an event general and liquor liability policy, buy here.

Commercial Auto Insurance–Caterers in Select States Eligible for Discounts

FLIP has partnered with the #1 commercial auto insurer in America–Progressive–to provide insurance coverage to caterers who use their automobile for business in select states. If you are a FLIP caterer who operates in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington, you may purchase commercial auto insurance through FLIP at a discount.

To get a quote on commercial auto insurance through FLIP and to simultaneously buy a FLIP general liability policy, click here.

Current FLIP customers who would like a commercial auto quote, apply here.

How to Buy Caterers Insurance

FLIP makes it easy to purchase your caterers insurance online. For your convenience, our insurance application is available 24/7.

If you have any additional questions about caterers insurance, our customer service representatives are available during business hours (M–F from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM MST) at (888) 520-6992.


Contact us

260 South 2500 West Suite 303
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062

P: 844.520.6992


"I have used FLIP insurance for two years now. They have always provided excellent service at an affordable price. Don't consider going with anyone else!"

Jessi, TN