Close this search box.

Food Distributor Insurance

Protect your food and beverage wholesale business completely online in 10 minutes or less with food distributor insurance.


Benefits of Insurance for Food Distributors

Food Liability Insurance Program (FLIP) offers personalized coverage, an easy online process, and high-quality coverage you need to safely distribute food products. 

tomato green icon

Customized Coverage

Create your very own food distributor insurance plan in minutes with a variety of high-quality policies, including general liability, tools and equipment coverage, and more.

protection floaty

Free and Unlimited Additional Insureds

Need to include other businesses on your policy as additional insureds? FLIP offers unlimited additional insureds at no extra cost to your premium.

paper icon

Instant, No-Pressure Process

Getting the coverage you need with FLIP is as easy as 1, 2, 3. Our quote-free online process takes minutes to complete and provides instant, 24/7 access to your policy.

What Is Food Distributor Insurance?

Insurance for food distributors is a series of policies designed to shield your business from the cost of liability claims. Food and beverage wholesalers like yourself face a number of risks associated with day-to-day operations, but liability insurance can shield you from having to pay completely out of pocket when an accident occurs. 

Below are a few examples of common claims food distributors face:

  • One of the food products you distribute gives a customer a foodborne illness
  • While delivering a product to a grocery store, your employee accidentally knocks over a display and the store holds you responsible to pay for their losses
  • A client of yours trips and falls on your business’ property, then sues you to pay for their medical bills

Who Needs This Type of Food Insurance?

If you run a business that distributes food to places such as the following, you need liability insurance to protect you from expensive claims:

  • Restaurants
  • Grocery stores
  • Cafeterias


As a food distribution business, you face a variety of liability risks, from injuries and property damage claims to damaged or stolen business property. Without insurance, liability claims can cost your business tens of thousands of dollars or more.

Food distributor insurance is designed to protect your business from the cost of liability claims, allowing you to continue running your business with peace of mind.

How Much Does Food Distributor Insurance Cost?

Insurance for food distributorships starts out at $25.92 per month or $299 per year. Some factors that affect the price of your policy include:

  • Gross income: Businesses with higher revenues can expect higher premiums. 
  • State you operate in: Taxes and regulations vary between states, so where you do business can affect what you pay. 
  • Additional coverage options: If you choose to add optional coverages to your policy, such as cyber liability insurance, your premium will go up but your business will have greater protection against more claims. 
  • Increased coverage limits: Smaller limits result in smaller premiums and vice versa.  

What Type of Insurance Do Food and Beverage Distributors Need?

Two must-have coverages for food wholesalers are general liability and product liability insurance. These can help with the costs of the most common types of claims which are third-party bodily injury and property damage claims. Product liability insurance protects from the costs related to foodborne illness claims. 

Additional coverages for food distributor insurance can include inland marine insurance (tools and equipment), damage to premises rented, additional insureds, and cyber liability insurance.

Let's Talk Numbers for Food Distributor Businesses


Food Distributors Insurance Coverage Details

Icon of a cake stand

General Liability

Aggregate Limit: $2,000,000

This coverage can safeguard your food distributorship from the cost of third-party bodily injury and property damage claims that stem from your business operations. General liability can also offer protection in the event of claims regarding products-completed operations, personal and advertising injury, and more. 

product liability

Product Liability

Aggregate Limit: $2,000,000

When dealing with food, there is always a risk of foodborne illnesses or unlabelled allergens. Protect your food distribution business from claims related to these with product liability insurance.

spoon and fork

Inland Marine (Tools and Equipment)

Aggregate Limit: $10,000

The cost of repairing or replacing your equipment can be a huge financial hit to your food distributorship. Tools and equipment coverage is designed to shield you from the cost of claims regarding damaged or stolen gear. To suit the unique needs of your business, FLIP offers increased coverage limits for tools and equipment insurance. 

small house icon

Damage to Premises Rented

Aggregate Limit: $300,000

If you rent a space for your food distribution business, such as a warehouse, this coverage can protect you from claims that come from any damage you may cause to that rented space. Many property owners require that you list them as an additional insured on your policy before allowing you to rent their space. With a FLIP policy, you can add an unlimited number of additional insureds to your policy at any time, completely free of charge. 

What Our Customers Are Saying

Here's what other people have to say about their experience from over 312+ available reviews.

Coverage Details Limits

General Liability Aggregate Limit


Products – Completed Operations Aggregate Limit


Personal and Advertising Injury Limit


General Each Occurrence Limit


Damage to Premises Rented to You Limit (Any One Premises)


Liability Deductible


Business Personal Property / Inland Marine Limit (Any One Article / Aggregate)


Business Personal Property / Inland Marine Limit (Per Occurrence) – Deductible


Medical Expense Limit


group of food distributors