Contact | 844.520.6992

Food Liability Insurance Program (FLIP) Logo

3 Things You Need When Looking For Food Vendor Insurance

Table of Contents

If you’ve spent any time looking for food vendor insurance, you know that finding the right program to protect your business is harder than it sounds. With so many different providers and policies, it is’s genuinely challenging to know 1) what coverage your business actually needs, and 2) how much you should actually pay for it. And, let’s be honest, it certainly doesn’t help that every provider claims to offer the best coverage, am I right?

Well, you needn’t stress about it any longer. Your friends at FLIP are here to help you know exactly what to look for when in the market for food vendor insurance. Let’s get started!


As a food vendor, your business faces a unique set of liability risks and requires a unique combination of coverages to protect itself from claims. When looking at a food vendor insurance program, it’s important to look at the included policies to determine if they meet your business needs.

Having in-depth knowledge of your business’ insurance needs can be a challenge in itself, but there are a few fundamental coverages that just about every food vendor business needs, including:

  • General Liability: can cover the cost of third-party bodily injury and property damage claims, products-completed operations claims, copyright claims, personal advertising injury claims, and more.
  • Inland Marine: can cover the cost of damages to your business equipment as well as some cases of theft.
  • Damage to Premises Rented: can cover the cost of damages to a rented property, such as a commercial kitchen or booth space at an event.

Depending on your business operation, you may need additional policies or endorsements to protect your business from claims. A few recommended policies include:

  • Excess Liability: increases the limits of your liability coverage, providing more coverage for claims.
  • Professional Liability: can cover the cost of third-party negligence claims that arise from lessons or demonstrations done as part of your business operation.
  • Trailer Endorsement: extends your liability coverage to your food trailer when it is not attached to your vehicle, which would otherwise be excluded in a policy. (when attached to your vehicle, it should be covered by your auto insurance)
  • Cyber Liability: can cover the cost of first- and third-party claims that arise from cyber security breaches within your business.


Great food vendor insurance is nice… but great food vendor insurance at a great price is even better, am I right? By comparing the amount of coverage a program offers with the price you pay for it, you can make sure you’re getting the biggest bang for your buck to protect your business.

To get a good idea as to the amount of coverage a program provides, it’s important to know a policy’s limits—or rather, the total amount of coverage it provides. There are two limits you need to understand when comparing policies: the occurrence limit and aggregate limit.

Occurrence Limit: the total amount of coverage your policy can provides per claim filed Aggregate Limit: the total amount of coverage your policy can provide for the duration of your policy—usually one year.

When you understand which policies are in a program and how much those policies cover, you can better understand if the program is worth the price. For example, FLIP’s food vendor insurance program costs just $299 per year or $25.92 per month including:

  • General Liability: $2 million aggregate limit ($1 million per occurrence)
  • Inland Marine: $10,000 aggregate limit ($5,000 per occurrence)
  • Damage to Premises Rented: $300,000 aggregate limit ($300,000 per occurrence)

When you combine that with unlimited additional insureds, instant 24/7 policy access, and additional policy options for extra coverage, you’ve got yourself a pretty solid food vendor insurance program for the price, if I do say so myself.


Last, but certainly not least, it’s important to know whether or not an insurance program contains additional costs for the coverage you get. Many insurance providers charge deductibles when claims are filed. The cost of these deductibles varies by provider, and some policies don’t have any at all. For example, with FLIP you’ll only be charged a $250 deductible for claims filed on an inland marine policy and never for general liability.


If you’ve spent any time looking for food vendor insurance, you know it can be hard to find a program that fits your business needs. That’s what makes FLIP such a revolutionary liability insurance program. If you haven’t already, consider checking it out.

In just minutes FLIP can help you protect your business with a customized, high-quality, and affordable liability insurance plan. What are you waiting for? Protect your business today and gain the peace of mind that comes from having great coverage when you need it most.

Learn More About Food Vendor Insurance
Get Covered With
Small Business Insurance
Monthly Prices Starting at