Catering Insurance: Liquor Liability Insurance for Full-Service Caterers

Catering Insurance: Liquor Liability Insurance for Full-Service Caterers

Adding liquor service to your catering business can significantly increase your revenue. However, serving alcohol carries potential risks to caterers.

Should I Become a Full-Service Caterer?

As you try to decide whether to expand into a full-service catering business, there are a few factors you must consider when serving alcohol:

  • Licenses & Permits – Make sure you have the appropriate licenses and permits to serve alcohol for both your business and for the venue.
  • Regulations – State and county laws vary, and different laws may pose different legal risks.
  • Employee Training – Are your employees trained and knowledgeable about age limits, the amount of alcohol that constitutes 'one drink,' how to identify fraudulent ID cards, and how to recognize a guest's level of intoxication?
  • Transportation – How will guests be transported before and after the event? Is it your responsibility to provide safe transportation?

Why Does My Catering Business Need Liquor Liability Insurance?

When you serve alcohol, you could be held liable for injuries or property damage caused by an intoxicated patron. Even if you serve alcohol responsibly, you may be taken to court, and you may accrue legal and court costs while defending your catering business.

Liquor liability insurance covers your business for:

  • Bodily Injury
  • Property Damage
  • Legal Costs

Many states require businesses that serve, sell, or assist with serving alcohol to carry liquor liability insurance. Even if your state doesn't have this mandate, you are still at risk for a liability lawsuit.

Get a Liquor Liability Insurance Quote for Caterers

In addition to general liability coverage, FLIP offers affordable, comprehensive liquor liability insurance for caterers. If you are a full-service caterer and you serve alcohol, you can now purchase a FLIP general liability policy so long as you also carry a liquor liability insurance policy too.

Caterers who wish to purchase a general liability policy may apply here.

If you plan on adding alcohol to your catering business and you already have a FLIP general liability policy, you must apply for a liquor liability insurance policy within 7 days. Apply for a liquor liability policy here.

All insurance policies have conditions, limitations and exclusions. Please refer to the policy for exact coverages.


Contact us

260 South 2500 West Suite 303
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062

P: 844.520.6992


"I have used FLIP insurance for two years now. They have always provided excellent service at an affordable price. Don't consider going with anyone else!"

Jessi, TN