Quality ingredients are the center of your business. Insuring businesses with quality insurance is ours. Your needs as a food truck owner are important to us and that is all we focus on.

Coverage for Trailers

Protect your business, trailer, and your assets all in one place. 

Additional Insureds

Have an event coming up? FLIP offers free unlimited additional insureds. 

No Quote Process

Build your policy unique to your business, check out, and download your insurance certificate in minutes. It’s that easy! 

How Does Insurance Work?

You’re busy running a business and going after your goals. What could possibly go wrong? There’s quite a bit if you’re not careful and sometimes variables outside of your control cause trouble. With liability insurance, you have coverage in place that is designed to safeguard your assets and serve as a financial safety net against third-party claims.

Insurance For Food Trucks – Things We Cover

Liability claims could halt your food truck in its tracks and drain your financial resources. Don’t let unforeseen events put the brakes on your mobile food truck business. FLIP gives you the green light to operate with confidence knowing you are backed by comprehensive general liability insurance.


Coverage Details:

General Liability Aggregate Limit
Products-Completed Operations Aggregate Limit
Personal and Advertising Injury Limit
General Each Occurrence Limit
Damage to Premises Rented to You (Any One Premises)
Liability Deductible
Business Personal Property / Inland Marine Limit (Any One Article / Aggregate)
Business Personal Property / Inland Marine Limit (Per Occurrence) - Deductible

For food trailers, general liability limits only apply if you add a Trailer Endorsement to your policy. (Trailer Endorsement can be added during checkout).

**Please note that this is only a summary of your insurance coverage. All policies have specific terms, conditions, exclusions, and limitations. Please refer to the policy for a complete description of coverages. For a sample policy, please contact us at (844) 520-6992 or by email at

General Liability

Under a food truck insurance policy, GL would provide coverage for personal injury and damage to your property. This could include damage to your food truck or if someone claims to have gotten sick from the food that you served them.

Aggregate Limit: $2,000,000

Product Liability

You love to make food, that’s why you started your food truck. But what happens if someone gets a food-borne illness because of food they purchased from you? Product liability insurance for your food truck will help protect you in this situation.

Aggregate Limit: $2,000,000

Inland Marine Coverage

Also referred to as tools and equipment coverage, inland marine insurance is an insurance policy designed to protect your business from the cost of claims regarding third-party equipment damage, like if an individual accidentally breaks an appliance or other piece of business equipment. It can also cover cases of equipment theft. FLIP offers increased coverage limits for inland marine should you want extra protection for your gear.

Aggregate Limit: $10,000

Damage To Premises Rented

We understand that as a vendor that moves locations often, you need street food insurance to protect you no matter where you are. If you are renting a spot at a farmers’ market, a food truck rally, or a spot on the street you need coverage that protects your rented space in case of damage to it. Some organizers might even require you to have insurance and for you to add them as an additional insured in order to protect them as well.

Aggregate Limit: $300,000

Workers Compensation Insurance

As a food truck owner, you probably have hired employees to help you on the truck.

Aggregate Limit: $300,000

FAQ's About Food Liability Insurance

What Is Food Truck Insurance?

A food truck insurance policy is designed to respond to claims related to the day to day operations of your food truck business.

Covered claims may include slip and fall accidents, illnesses caused by your food product, or equipment loss. With food truck insurance from the Food Liability Insurance Program (FLIP), we offer coverage for business personal property/inland marine, general liability, product liability, and damage to premises rented coverage.

What Is Food Trailer Insurance?

A food trailer endorsement on your Food Liability Insurance Program (FLIP) policy includes coverage for incidents that occur in, on, or around your food trailer when it is unhooked from your towing vehicle and parked on a rented premise. Most general liability policies exclude coverage for trailers and without this endorsement may leave your business exposed for these types of claims.

How Much Does Food Truck Insurance Cost?

A basic general liability insurance policy from FLIP starts at $299.

However, there are additional coverage options that you can add to customize your policy. As a food truck owner, you may wish to increase your business personal property coverage amounts or add professional liability coverage for example.

There are only a couple of factors that affect the cost of your food truck policy. The first is annual gross sales. If the sales for your mobile food truck business are less than $50,000 per year, the insurance will cost $299 per year. If, however, your annual gross sales are between $50,001-$100,000, then your policy will cost $399 per year. You also need to factor in how much your business personal property is worth – this means items such as equipment, supplies, and inventory. If your business property is worth more than $10,000 then it is an additional $179 per year.

Do I Need Food Truck Insurance?

Yes. As a food truck owner, you are liable if injuries, illnesses, or damages happen due to your business operations. For example, if a customer gets sick eating your food or if somebody trips and falls over a piece of your equipment and is injured, you could be held responsible.

Claims from unfortunate incidents like these can easily wipe out your business and personal finances and cause your food truck business to close. With FLIP insurance, you’ll have the protection you need just in case something goes wrong.

Businesses that need food truck insurance include but are not limited to

  • Mobile food trucks
  • Lunch trucks
  • Catering trucks
  • Concession trucks
  • Vending trucks
  • Ice cream trucks

What Is An Additional Insured?

If you run your food truck at a food truck hub or farmers market, the location owner/organizer could request to be listed as an additional insured.

An additional insured is an organization or person who is not automatically included as an insured under an insurance policy and who is included or added as an insured under the policy at the request of the named insured. If you run your food truck at a food truck hub or farmers market, the location owner/organizer could request to be listed as an additional insured. This will help protect them in case of an incident regarding your food truck at their event.

You might be asked by farmers market organizers, food truck roundup managers, or any event owners to be added as an additional insured. Depending on how many events you attend, you could have to add numerous additional insureds to your policy. With a FLIP policy, you receive free, unlimited additional insureds, and you can add as many as you need in minutes through your FLIP online portal.

Risks Of Running A Food Truck

As a business in the food industry, food trucks face a unique set of risks, meaning there is a chance for your business to cause harm to people or for other people to cause harm to you. Some risks are more common than others, but can include:

  • A customer or bystander injuring themselves on your equipment or getting hurt “on premises.”
  • An individual stealing or damaging your business equipment.
  • A customer getting a food-borne illness from food they purchased at your truck.
  • A fire or other disaster destroying equipment in your truck.
  • A disgruntled customer sues you for breach of contract for an accident that occurred at a catered event.
  • A cyber criminal hacking your business account and stealing your information.

Partner Resources

FLIP works with numerous partners to provide the best possible resources of food truck owners. Some of the partners we work with include:

Roaming Hunger

Program highlights

Annual Policies



$ 299

Don't Take Our Word For It




If you’re thinking about starting a food truck business, you’ve probably spent some time looking at vehicles. Choosing the best vehicle for your food truck can be hard. With so many different makes and models, it can be challenging to know what to

Read More