QUESTIONS? 844.520.6992





Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

In a recent forum post on The Garden Web Forum, some of the participants asked questions and wrote comments that we, as an insurance company, are in a unique position to answer. We wanted to address these questions without compromising the integrity of the forum, so we are posting our answers here. We hope we can shed some light on some questions that people in your industry have asked.

Do you have to carry liability insurance to sell at farmers markets?

Farmers markets throughout the country have different rules about insurance. Some of them require vendors to carry insurance with a certain amount of coverage. Others require insurance but don’t specify an amount required. Some, like the forum participant mentioned, don’t require it at all. No matter what the farmers market requirements are, having liability insurance is always a good idea because you never know what might go wrong.

Is it a good idea to add a “rider” on your homeowners policy to cover your food stand?

Generally, the “rider” endorsements do not offer as comprehensive of coverage compared to what you could obtain through a commercial general liability policy. Those endorsements are also generally limited to very small business operations, and you may also be limited to where the policy will cover you.

Why won’t some insurance companies let me include my food stand on my homeowners policy?

Pursuits are not meant to be covered in a homeowners policy. Most insurance companies consider this an ineligible class for coverage.

Why would the city and/or the farmers market want me to add them as an additional insured? Shouldn’t they have their own insurance?

If a farmers market or other event wants to be added as an additional insured or named on your policy, don’t be worried. This is a very common request. When you add them as an additional insured on your policy they are also protecting themselves from liability you may cause at their location. You are NOT opening up yourself to their liability.

What insurance should I buy? General? Product?

General liability responds to basic bodily injury or property damage to third parties. For example, someone slipped and fell on your premises or your tent blows over and hits someone.

If you want to protect yourself in case someone claims your food caused them bodily injury, you will want product liability. In some cases both of these coverages may be required at farmers markets, retail stores and other events or locations.

Want to share your own experiences? Have another particular forum that you want others to know about? Please comment below. If you have any other questions or want more clarification about any of the topics discussed in the forum, please call us at 844-520-6992, or email us at


Lyndsey Larsen is the Marketing Manager for FLIP and writes about business, marketing, entrepreneurship, and insurance.

Lyndsey Larsen is an experienced writer with a background in corporate communications and nonprofits, SAAS corporations, and nutraceutical companies. She has previously worked as a journalist for regional and national publications. In her spare time, she enjoys chasing butterflies, rockhounding, and spending time with her two kids in Utah’s mountains or deserts. Find Lyndsey on LinkedIn.


$ 299

Not ready to buy?

Set up a reminder to make the switch:

Set a reminder